[U-Boot] Support of Beagleboard-xm

Javier Martinez Canillas martinez.javier at gmail.com
Fri Mar 29 02:11:25 CET 2013

On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM, Tom Rini <trini at ti.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 28, 2013 at 12:52:04PM +0800, Dashi Cao wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> > I have got a Beagleboard-xm, and I'm feeling that saving environment
> > variable is an issue because this board has no NAND.
> >
> > U-Boot supports environment variable file located in a FAT file system.
> > So I set out and made a new board omap3_beagle-xm, copied from
> > omap3_beagle, but with environment file on the FAT of the microSD.
> >
> > I'm not sure if I'm just reinventing the wheel!
>
> An interesting concept and one I've thought about doing myself at some
> point, so thanks!  There's a better way to do this however.  You can
> have boards.cfg take a base config file (say omap3_beagle) and add
> additional defines (say CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_FAT) for a specific build
> target (omap3_beagle_env_fat) and not have to copy all of the other
> files.  Then just modify omap3_beagle.h with:
> #ifdef CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_FAT
> #undef CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_NAND
> #define FAT_FILE ...
> #endif

Hi Dashi,

If you want an example on how to do this, something similar is made
for IGEP boards. There are two IGEP board types: IGEP COM Module and
IGEPv2. These two boards are very similar and each one can have one of
two flash memory types: NAND or OneNAND.

The same board file (board/isee/igep00x0/igep00x0.c) is used for every
<board type, flash type> combination and you can choose between 4 base
configs defined in boards.cfg:

igep0020 => igep00x0:MACH_TYPE=MACH_TYPE_IGEP0020,BOOT_ONENAND
igep0020_nand => igep00x0:MACH_TYPE=MACH_TYPE_IGEP0020,BOOT_NAND
igep0030 => igep00x0:MACH_TYPE=MACH_TYPE_IGEP0030,BOOT_ONENAND
igep0030_nand => igep00x0:MACH_TYPE=MACH_TYPE_IGEP0030,BOOT_NAND

Hope it helps.

> And be set, more or less.  And don't re-use the name uEnv.txt please.
> How about u-boot-env.txt ?  And we shouldn't need to populate to start
> with, I hope at least, it should just be OK until the first saveenv
> happens.
>
> --
> Tom

Best regards,