[U-Boot] livetime of boards

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Thu Nov 7 12:13:27 CET 2013

Hi Heiko,

On Thu, 07 Nov 2013 11:39:08 +0100, Heiko Schocher <hs at denx.de> wrote:

> >> Right, boards.cfg gets unhandy ... Hmm .. what with the column
> >> "Staus" ... instead of "Active" it would be more informative to have
> >> there the livetime counter, and a single digit saves some characters ;-)

I'm not sure we need to save characters from boards.cfg.

Note also that one goal of boards.cfg is to not have multiple files
around that have to remain consistent.

Still :

> > I can't understand the status field at all, just for the record ;)
>
> Hmm.. good question ...

There has been some discussion on this already; indeed, the status
field is not really aptly named or defined and should be reworked.

We could, for instance, have a "Last tested" field instead of the
"Active" field.

> Ok, two decisions:
>
> - Do we want to collect board testinginformation?

I'd say we might want to, if only because it tells us if a board
maintainer is still active or not, instead of finding out long later.

> - Do we want to delete old boards automatically after we do not get
>    some test reports after a time intervall?

I don't, at least, not without a long enough period during which the
board remains in "unmaintained" state. E.g., for each release, the list
of "unmaintained" boards is produced along with the release notes, and
boards which are still "unmaintained" when nearing the next release
(roughly 90 days later) get deleted right before the new release.

> bye,
> Heiko

Amicalement,
--