[U-Boot] livetime of boards

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Nov 7 13:06:50 CET 2013

Dear Heiko Schocher,

In message <527B7CB0.6040707 at denx.de> you wrote:

> > Note also that one goal of boards.cfg is to not have multiple files
> > around that have to remain consistent.
>
> Yep, exactly. Thats why I think we could collect this in boards.cfg.

No, we really want to have a database here, which collects more than
just a timestamp.  I would lile to be able to see the history as well
as information which exact commit ID has been tested (and I strongly
vote to allow testing at any time, not only for a end-of-release-
cycle version).  we should probably also collect information about the
build environment (at least versions of make, gcc, bintuils), etc.

This by far exceeds what could be done in boards.cfg, and it exceeds
anything that could be run over the mailing list.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The important thing about being a leader is not being right or wrong,
but being *certain*.                    - Terry Pratchett, _Truckers_