[U-Boot] u-boot gerrit server

Albert ARIBAUD albert.u.boot at aribaud.net
Tue Nov 12 11:42:12 CET 2013

Hi Vadim,

On Mon, 11 Nov 2013 21:21:27 -0800, Vadim Bendebury (вб)
<vbendeb at google.com> wrote:

> For the purposes of this demo the patches submitted for review were
> generated  by a script I wrote. The script scrapes
> http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/uboot/list/, downloads the patches
> from there and tries applying them. Not all patches apply cleanly (as
> some of them are for branches).

How do we intend to handle this? Will we move to a single
repository, with each patch getting reviewers assigned based on
which parts of the code it touches? Or move from repos to branches,
one per current custodian repo? Or something else yet?

> If the patch applies cleanly, the script adds two stanzas to the patch

> - Change-Id: generated by git
> - Patch-At: a reference to the patchwork page where the patch was
> downloaded from

'Patch-At' seem ininformative to me. Why not 'Patchwork-URL'?

> and uploads the patch for review as the user named 'Gerrit Tester'.
> Each upload creates a new git branch just for review purposes.

(I'm skipping the gerrit workflow description here as I have
used gerrit extensively in my, ahem, previous job)

I'm fine with using gerrit and yes, it can be a useful tool, not only
regarding review, but also for learning the whys and hows of code
changes through the comments from both reviewers and submitters
(and I am in strong favor of a policy that every reviewer comment
must be addressed by a supmitter reply, even the default will-do one.

One drawback though: I cannot seem to be able to use my U-Boot mail
address, even though it is a secondary address of my G+ account;
gerrit only wants to see my gmail address. I sure hope that I am not
required to use a gmail address to identify myself as the author
of my own patches within the U-Boot project.

> --vb

Amicalement,
--
Albert.