[U-Boot] u-boot gerrit server

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 15 20:18:43 CET 2013

Dear Vadim Bendebury (вб),

In message <CAC3GErFfUaLUZryxW+A1J3yrmgPWWzcMfoVkP8b=Yj7ksznUDw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> - upload all patches to gerrit
> - go to the web interface of the first patch in the series (by this
> time gerrit would have a stack of patches showing their dependencies),
> click on "review" - at this point gerrit would open a form to type the
> cover message in
> - once you finish composing the message you click on "publish
> comments" and it gets sent to everybody who was picked as the
> reviewer, and to default addresses, if any are configured (which of
> course could be u-boot at lists.denx.de, for instance)

Basically this means _all_ new tools.  Instead of using your
well-known editor of choice with all the tons of provate macros and
keyboard shortcuts you have build in your whole professional life you
start filling out forms.  Instead of using your well-known mail-tool
with all the customizations you have added to help you to do what you
are used to do you have something new.

And all is web driven - or is it?

Is any of this scriptable?  Or can it be controlled by e-mail
messages?

> Once thing I have to mention: gerrit is notorious for sending tons of
> email, while this is being worked on, in the meantime some more
> rigorous email filtering might be very useful.

My initial touch of a feeling of indisposition in the stomach appears
to be growing into some more severe sicknes :-(

> > Can we at least get all reviews sent to the ML?
>
> The problem with this is that when reviews are sent to the mailing
> list, they are for different custodians, trees, etc. It looks like
> appx. half of them applies cleanly to the master branch, the rest do
> not. Is there a way to tell what branch the patch is detined to by
> looking at the email?
>
> A much more robust approach is to have users push patches directly,
> and set up branches/projects on the server, as required.

So this means gerrit is a make-or-break conversion.  Is there no way
to allow old die-hards (like me) to stick to their well-known and
highly optimized work to work environment?

My understanding from your description is that we cannot even try this
out for some time while running the old way in parallel - we have to
do either this or that, and as soon as we switch to gerrit there is
not even a smooth way back - at least not without losing all the
activities done in gerrit?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de