[U-Boot] u-boot gerrit server

Michal Suchanek hramrach at gmail.com
Mon Nov 18 10:35:22 CET 2013

On 17 November 2013 20:31, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:
> Dear Tom,
>
> In message <20131116013913.GN420 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:
>>
>> > Here is my key problem.  I cannot even figure out what to do with this
>> > page.  I cannot display it in a format I am used to, not can I
>> > process it in a way I'm used to.  I'm totally lost with that.
>>
>> Scroll down to patch set 1, click on unified and you get:
>> https://u-boot-review.googlesource.com/#/c/1221/1/common/cmd_nvedit.c,unified
>> and that's a "fancy" unified diff (tabs denoted, line numbers added,
>> highlighting on the changes within a line).  Some of that is pretty
>> useful, but I would like to know if you can tweak that once logged in.
>
> Well, some might find this cool, but for me it is utterly useless.
> I cannot do anything with this format.  I started working in UNIX
> environments about 30 years ago, and what I need is a text file.
> I'm using nmh / exmh as MUA< so each message on the mailing list is a
> separate text file.  This is what I need, as I can _work_ with the
> data, using standard tools.
>
> I can grep for basic information (like for other patches that touch
> similar code), I can run the message through checkpatch or other
> scripts, I can check if it applies to the source tree. I can open it
> in an editor and use standard tools like ctags etc. to get additional
> nformation about the source context, related files, definitions in
> header files and all that.
>
> With Gerrit, I can do none of this.  I am dumbed and blindfolded and
> restricted to tactile senses.
>
> Yes, I guess I can download the patch and process it then, and then
> switch tools again to type a comment in an unwieldy and unchangable
> environment.

You need not download the patches one by one.
You can fetch the gerrit branches into a git repo which makes them
into text files you can work with - almost.

Unfortunately, git stores some data in packages and generally does not
present the data in reasonable form.

This can be fixed - I can imagine something like fuse filesystem that
presents pretty much what gitweb does, except in a usable form.
Unfortunately, I know no such solution that can be readily used.

I find the inability to look at multiple branches without checking out
multiple copies of a repository very limiting when working in git.

Thanks

Michal