[U-Boot] u-boot gerrit server

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Tue Nov 19 16:10:57 CET 2013

On Tue, Nov 19, 2013 at 05:29:49AM +0100, Heiko Schocher wrote:
> Hello Tom,
>
> Am 18.11.2013 17:00, schrieb Tom Rini:
> >On Mon, Nov 18, 2013 at 11:07:59AM +1100, Graeme Russ wrote:
> >>Hi All,
> >>
> >>You do all realise that we are going about this, to use some British
> >>vernacular, arse-about-tit
> >>
> >>Everyone agrees that the current U-Boot review workflow 'has issues' (and
> >>has had issues for quite some time). The first attempt at overcoming these
> >>issues was Patchwork. I personally think that that ended up being far less
> >>successful than we hoped
> >
> >Maybe it's time to swing around back and talk about what's wrong with
> >our current tools then.
>
> Thanks!
>
> >What I don't like about patchwork:
> >- Some patches just don't make it in.
> >- Sometimes discussions can be a bit hard to follow there, but that's
> >   what real mail list archives are for.
>
> Yep.
>
> What I miss in patchwork:
>
> - It would be great, if patchwork could detect newer version from patches
>   and mark the old patches superseeded ... but maybe this is not trivial
>   for all patches... and have somewhere in the new patch website a link
>   to the superseeded patch, so I can easy find the old patch and can look
>   in it.

This isn't as easy as it sounds I think.  And honestly, it's not hard to
handle manually, if you get in the habit.  And...

> - If a custodian change the state of a patch, send at least a EMail
>   to the owner of the patch with the info of the state changes.

Wishlisting, I'd like to see the reverse, known project custodian saying
"Applied to" or "NAK" causing Accepted (or Awaiting Upstream, this is a
little complex..) or Rejected to happen automatically.  This could save
on sending out the applied messages, but that's what bundles give me.
Open it up in mutt, reply, find/paste/save-for-later, repeat.

> - Maybe a cmdline interface to change the state of a patch, so I do not
>   need to open a webbrowser (not necessary, would just nice ;-)

As Wolfgang pointed out, there is a cli suite (doesn't like SOCKS, iirc,
tho).  So it's scriptable to different levels.  With Wolfgang's setup,
you could just for loop over the old series and it goes automagically.

--
Tom