[U-Boot] u-boot gerrit server

Vadim Bendebury (вб) vbendeb at google.com
Tue Nov 19 18:21:14 CET 2013

On Sun, Nov 17, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de> wrote:

Dear Wolfgang,

> [snip..]
> Maybe I'm wrong, but my understanding was that we were not primarily
> interested in introducing better project management tools, but in
> reducing the work load on the maintainers, making our work more
> efficient.

Having worked with email based reviews and with gerrit, I would say
that gerrit has overwhelming advantage when it comes to reviewing
complex changes, especially when multiple patch versions are required
due to review comments.

These are the major advantages IMO:

 - the side-by side display of the changes makes it easier to
understand what is going on
 - the entire source file is at the reviewer's disposal if he wants to
see a larger context
 - it is very easy to see what changed between patch versions
 - it is easy to pull entire patch series into a local tree if one
wants to try a change

So, if one wants to optimize for complex cases, gerrit is advantageous
(again, IMO, of course). But I totally understand your concerns wrt
the need to change the work flow and the need to have an account to
post even a small patch (I am not sure, but there might be a way
around this).

> I have to admit that I have zero practical experience with gerrit
> (meaning I have never used it as core tool in any real-life project,
> and did only very limited and very basic testing - and the learning
> curve apears to be long and arduous!), but from what I've seen so far
> I see feel that indeed helps to better organize the work, but at the
> cose of considerable restrictions to in the tooling and interfaces,
> resulting (at least for me) in lower efficiency.
>
> I've tried to find discussions of using gerrit in Linux kernel
> development.  I found little - see [2].  I find statements like
> "git needs an friendly UI, web based is the future." not exactly
> convincing.  There were a number discussions at the last Linux
> Conference / ELCE about maintainers' efficiency and scaling problems
> with the always growing work load.  There are so many really excellent
> engineers in the Linxu project - but apparently none of them uses (or
> talks about considering to use) gerrit.  Is it just lack of
> information, or intuition, fear of changing the well-known processes -
> or do they have good reasons?
>

> I see a lot of open questions here...

Gerrit, of course, is an open source project (quite big and
complicated, but still), they are open to suggestions and would
definitely consider patches, but this is probably a very long shot, as
Java, Prologue and JavaScript require a very different skill and
experience set than the typical u-boot developer possesses :)

Of course it is up to you to decide, I am sure the status quo will
keep working for another (maybe long) while.

regards,
--vb