[U-Boot] OMAP3 i2c issues on IGEP, u-boot 2013.10

Thomas Petazzoni thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com
Wed Nov 27 15:11:21 CET 2013

Dear Enric Balletbo Serra,

On Wed, 27 Nov 2013 14:56:15 +0100, Enric Balletbo Serra wrote:

> 2013/11/27 Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni at free-electrons.com>:
> > Hello,
> >
> > We've recently updated from u-boot 2013.04 to u-boot 2013.10 on our
> > IGEP boards (OMAP3 based, U-Boot shows "OMAP36XX/37XX-GP ES1.2"), and
> > we're seeing random I2C communication problems at startup.
>
> Right, I've reproduced the issue. Any OMAP3-based board affected for
> this issue ?

Not sure to understand your question: my paragraph above mentions the
IGEP board as being the platform on which I'm seeing this. So indeed, a
OMAP3-based board is affected. But maybe I misunderstood your question.

> > I see that 960187ffa125b3938fec4b827bd9e8c04a204af8 ("ARM: OMAP: I2C:
> > New read, write and probe functions") has changed significantly the
> > OMAP I2C driver. And it turns out that reverting this commit actually
> > fixes the problem. No more error messages, no more hang at boot. The
> > commit message says that it was tested on OMAP4, OMAP5 and AM335x, but
> > apparently OMAP3 isn't working all that well with this commit.
> >
> > Best regards,
>
> I'll try to investigate more.

Thanks! In the mean time, I'll just keep this commit reverted.

Best regards,

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons