[U-Boot] examples: add again x86 standalone example

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Nov 29 07:22:51 CET 2013

Dear Graeme,

In message <CALButCLwhOsYwDYCVnRZU_=2ODEah_40grSEr59coYAc=RUJ7w at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> The 82559 is the EEPROM for the Intel Fast Ethernet controller, and as
> such, I think any interface to it should be done via a proper driver and
> not by a standalone application. Besides, I really doubt that there are any
> systems using an 82559 and U-Boot in the wild, and probably never will be.

Actually a big telecom company used this in one of their products, and
I assume it was quite high volume - but then, this was about a decade
ago, or so.  Given the typical lifetime of such products there are
probably still a number of them around, but you are right: this code
is of nostalgic value at best.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Never underestimate the power of human stupidity  when  it  comes  to
using technology they don't understand.