[U-Boot] Can a standalone application send data via Ethernet in U-Boot?

rvijay435 rvijay435 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 29 13:30:49 CET 2013

> Hm... I'm notr sure what exactly you are trying to do here - I cannot
> find the string "tsec_miiphy_write" anywhere in the U-Boot source
> code.

Hi Wolfgang,
tsec_miiphy_write function is present in drivers/net/tsec.c of the
U-Boot-201009 version which I downloaded.

The flow of calls is:
tsec_initialize () which is in drivers/net/tsec.c calls miiphy_register as:

#if defined (CONFIG_MII) || defined (CONFIG_CMD_MII) \
               && !defined (BITBANGMII)
           miiphy_register (dev->name, tsec_miiphy_read, tsec_miiphy_write)
#endif

The third argument is actually a function pointer which calls
tsec_miiphy_write function.

>  If you need networking, stay within U-Boot
> context.  Or boot an OS.

Booting an OS is not possible as per the client requirement.
What does this sentence means, 'Stay within U-Boot'? After tftp'ing the
application image, we will use go command to a particular address to execute
the application.
We can't be back into U-Boot, once we start running the application. Is my
understanding correct?

Please help me to get the networking concepts done in application, by which
I can send and receive the data.