[U-Boot] declaring and initializing variables

York Sun yorksun at freescale.com
Tue Oct 1 02:04:33 CEST 2013

Kim, et al.,

I know I have asked this before. Pardon me as I don't consider myself a
savy programmer.

I am cleaning up the DDR driver for mpc83xx, mpc85xx and mpc86xx. The
question is the accetable formats of declaring and initializing variable
at the same time. The variables are the ccsr register pointers. I have
two formats here

struct ccsr_ddr __iomem *ddr = (void *) CONFIG_FOO_ADDR;
struct ccsr_ddr __iomem *ddr =
	(struct ccsr_ddr __iomem *) CONFIG_FOO_ADDR;

You have told me the second format is preferred. I have been using this
format since. But in practice, the second format is often too long and I
have to wrap to next line. It's not a problem for new code. As I am
trying to cleanup the existing code, I would have to make more changes.
So I am back to this question. Is the first format (using void *)
accetable in long term?

Regards,

York