[U-Boot] Hi, I am new to U-Boot, how do I get started?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Oct 6 21:28:29 CEST 2013

Dear Dimitar,

In message <1466257793.96923.1381071203850.JavaMail.apache at mail22.abv.bg> you wrote:

> My name is Dimitar Tomov. I'm student at Technical University of
> Sofia (Europe/Bulgaria).

Welcome.

I hope you are not disappointed when the first thing I do is asking
you to stick to standard netiquette rules, like reducing your line
length to some 70 characters or less.  Also, reading [1] might help
you to get help more efficiently.

[1] http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html

> 0. Following "U-Boot Porting Guide" [Based on messages by Jerry Van
> Baren in the U-Boot-Users mailing list, October 2002]: I'm sending
> this message as I'm really lost in the source code of U-boot and have
> no clear idea from where to start.
>
> 1. My goal is to port U-boot for LPC43xx board (LPC4357-EVB).
>
> 2. I made some research and found a port for the Hitex LPC4350 Eval
> board from Emcraft, also found a port for another LPC43xx based
> system from Cyril Fougeray for Diwel (
> https://bitbucket.org/fouge/u-boot-diwel ).

Unfortunately it appears that none of this code has ever been submitted
upstream, i. e. none of this is present in the mainline U-Boot code.
That means none of the developers here is likely to be able to help
(only if he by chance might have been involved with any of these
projects).

> 3. As I looked through the source code of mainstream U-boot I didn't
> find Cortex-M4 cpu support, is this correct ?

Yes, this is correct, so far.

> Thank You for Your time in advance. I will really appreciate any
> starting points or advices.

I guess you are basically on your own.  Try to use the existing
out-of-tree code as a starting point, rebase it against current
mainline, then try to get it working on your hardware.  If you then
have specific questions, we may try to help.

Note that you will need full hardware documentation and most probably
a JTAG debugger to make process efficiently.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The IQ of the group is the lowest IQ of a member of the group divided
by the number of people in the group.