[U-Boot] How/Where does "_start" get assigned a value ?

Djoker thelonejoker at gmail.com
Thu Oct 10 01:02:43 CEST 2013

On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 12:54 PM, Arvid Brodin <arvid.brodin at xdin.com> wrote:
> On 2013-10-09 18:07, djoker wrote:
>> Hi Everyone,
>>
>> I have a armv7 board and am looking at the "_start" symbol address, using
>> the following command:
>> *nm u-boot | grep -w _start*
>>
>> It returned the following:
>> *67000020 T _start*
>>
>> I couldn't help notice that the the _start value is very "close" in vlaue to
>> the value of CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE defined in my board file:
>> *#define CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE 0x67000004*
>>
>> But, I have searched through the source code, but not found where _start
>> gets assigned a value.. Could someone please help me understand this ?
>
> This symbol is declared in arch/<...>/start.S, as the entry point for the
> u-boot code, if I understand things correctly.

Arvid, I know that the symbol is declared under that file.
But, how is it getting assigned a value equal to or greater than
CONFIG_SYS_TEXT_BASE ?
Basically, I am seeing a similar issue as below:

u-boot.10912.n7.nabble.com/U-Boot-ARM-gap-between-start-and-CONFIG-SYS-TEXT-BASE-td4134.html#none

There really was no conclusion as to why the padding of 0's happened ?