[U-Boot] U-Boot Regression Testing

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Oct 10 21:32:46 CEST 2013

Dear Curt Brune,

In message <20131009162255.GG31348 at cumulusnetworks.com> you wrote:

> To be concrete -- how are core U-Boot commands and features tested?
> For example how do you test that FIT image support is not broken or
> that the 'env' command and all its options work properly?

Have a look at DUTS [1]; the test cases implemented there serve a
double purpose: 1) they help testing (some of) the functionality of
U-Boot (and Linux) on a specific board, and 2) they generate the
needed include files to produce a board-specific version of the DULG
[2]

[1] http://www.denx.de/wiki/DUTS/DUTSDocs
[2] http://www.denx.de/wiki/DULG/BoardSelect

> On the social side -- is that something the community helps out with
> or something DENX does, or a mix?

Yes, of course this is mainly a community effort. We at DENX have
only a limited number of boards in our lab (just 138 at the moment),
so all board maintainers are appealed for testing on their hardware,
and al custodians will test on a set of boards they have access to.

> Are you using a test framework of some kind, either home grown or open
> source?  These things tend to become home grown over time :)

Here at DENX we use DUTS, though not as much as we should do ...

> This kind of testing usually takes the form of 'chat' scripts
> communicating over serial consoles.  Perhaps you are using expect,
> pexpect, python nose?

DUTS is based on expect (and thus tcl, sigh!)

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Free markets select for winning solutions."        - Eric S. Raymond