[U-Boot] SPDX-License-Identifier on new files

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Oct 11 23:57:44 CEST 2013

Dear D Rambo,

In message <CAOg16C+xNXgjXQZdhXurUfOSzhWb6VSSuy=5ch3YdOfdkCJuOA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Is there a policy that new source files upstreamed to u-boot contain
> registered SPDX license identifiers? I see that there are still about 1900
> source files that have no SPDX identifier, and about 6000 that do. The

This is still work in progress...

> reason I'm asking is that our company has a dual license (for GPL2.0 or
> Proprietary), and would like to know if it is possible to submit code that

Please note that new code added to U-Boot shall have GPL2.0+, i. e.
GPL2.0 only is only accepted if the code is borrowed from other,
already existing projects (like the linux kernel).

>        *How does one represent a file or package that is dual licensed
> (i.e., a license choice)?*

See [1]

[1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.boot-loaders.u-boot/171426

> So my question is whether a dual license can be registered with spdx or is
> it necessary to split the dual license and show the "or" condition above.
> In other words, is the "or" parsing critical to license clearing reports?

There are two parts here;  first, you must define the exact license
terms.  GPL is already defined in SPDX, so that is no isse.  But you
have to add your proprietary license to the Licenses/ directory, and
define a Unique License Identifier for it (which you should also
submit to the SPDX project for official registration).  Second, in the
SPDX-License-Identifier: line, both license IDs get listed, separated
by white space.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Real computer scientists despise the idea of actual  hardware.  Hard-
ware has limitations, software doesn't. It's a real shame that Turing
machines are so poor at I/O.