[U-Boot] [RFC] ARM: U-boot and 2 GiB of ram with get_ram_size only being long

Oliver Schinagl oliver+list at schinagl.nl
Sat Oct 19 01:07:58 CEST 2013

On 10/18/13 18:43, Scott Wood wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-10-18 at 02:04 +0200, Oliver Schinagl wrote:
>> So now that that's settled, anything fundamentally wrong with my patch? :)
>
> Did you see my other mail in this thread?  This patch is sort of OK for
Sorry I did and I got distracted from it.

> raising the get_ram_size() limit from 1 GiB to 2 GiB (with an increased
> risk of false positives from I/O), but it can't go beyond that on
I'd ask 'how so' but I'm not sure I'd understand anyway ;)

> 32-bit.  A better approach would be to get the RAM size from the memory
> controller, which is what we do on many Freescale PPC boards.
Not possible for us at this moment. The memory controller is programed
with hard-coded values on a per board basis. I think we could
technically obtain values via/from the memory controller, but have no
knowledge at this moment. Allwinner has a tool, livesuit, which is used
to flash full disk images to a device. We currently guesstimate that
livesuit can somehow detect the memory parameters and injects it into
the stock bootloader. But we really have no clue if that really happens
or how it's done. So we rely on extracting the information from a
running stock android/linux and hardcode it into u-boot.

Oliver