[U-Boot] SPDX License IDs - moving forward

Meier, Roger r.meier at siemens.com
Wed Oct 23 20:59:04 CEST 2013

Hi Wolfgang!

Getting a report with files + licenses as build output would by awesome!
Part of binary and a license command would a very nice supplement.

> And there is another topic that's on my mind.  License terms for the
> source code are one thing, but there are is additional information
> that may be relevant when releasing a product, for example (known)
> patents or other intellectual property rights that may apply.  For
> example, despite the fact that all code to implement FAT/VFAT file
> system support is licensed under GPL-2.0+ in U-Boot, we know that
> Microsoft holds patents on parts of that technology, which may become
> an issue if you include FAT/VFAT support in your product.
>
> Should we also add similar tags to list known patents etc.?  for
> example, the FAT code could be augmented like that:
>
> SPDX-Patent-Notice: US5,579,517 US5,758,352 US5,745,902 US6,286,013 EP0618550
>
> [Of course I'm not sure if SPDX would cover such an entry; I'm just
> interested in feedback for the general idea.]
I really like this idea, had it also within my ideabox.

A perfect way to simplify this topic as well and I think it fits to the
idea of Software Package Data Exchange. If SPDX people agree on patent
info as part of further SPDX the tag name fits perfectly otherwise
just use License-Notice as a tag?

> Again, I tent to make this a preprocessor macro, so you can easily
> determine which (known) patents may apply to your final product.
>

> What do you think?  Does this make sense to you?
Yes!

The other thing within my ideabox is a SPDX-Copyright-Text tag.
What about that?

-roger