[U-Boot] Configuring U-Boot through device tree (was: Minutes from the U-Boot Mini Summit 2013)

Dirk Behme dirk.behme at gmail.com
Mon Oct 28 17:56:32 CET 2013

Am 27.10.2013 18:07, schrieb Detlev Zundel:
> ** Configuring U-Boot through device tree
> - _What_ should be configured?
> - Google requires every new U-Boot driver to be configured through
>    device tree in U-Boot
> - Configuring U-Boot through device trees shall aim for using the
>    exact same tree from the Linux kernel.

At ELCE, I attended the Barebox presentation. One Barebox feature
presented there was "Configure Barbox through device tree". So the
Barebox people seem to have this already running for some selected
boards. After their presentation I asked them "how do you decide which
parts are configured in the boot loader, and which in the kernel,
then?". And got the quick answer "in doubt, the configuration is done
two times".

Do we really want this?

If we use the same device tree for U-Boot and the Linux kernel (which
most probably makes sense) do we really want to do the initialization
part we do already in U-Boot again in the kernel?

I'm thinking about pin mux or clock settings described in the device
tree, which are need to get the U-Boot drivers working. If these are
done two times, then, what's about the risk of clock or pin glitches
doing the same configuration in the kernel a second time?

Do we need a mechanism to do some configuration only at one place? Or
isn't there any risk and we can do the same configuration two times?
What do you think?

Best regards

Dirk