[U-Boot] SPL Dfu update

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Wed Oct 30 14:28:32 CET 2013

Hi Lukasz, hi Michael,

On 30/10/2013 13:58, Lukasz Majewski wrote:

> In general the presented structure is correct.
>
> However, I've got other concerns:
>
> The DFU + composite + gadget + UDC driver code is large (around 24KiB
> in binary size [1] for the TRATS).
>
> I'm not sure if this size would be acceptable for SPL. Of course there
> are some spots for code base size reduction (like optimizing and often
> hardcoding code ported from linux kernel).

Apart of the fact that is possible to add DFU to SPL, I am missing which
is the real advantage. One goal of having split U-Boot into two images
(SPL and U-Boot) is also to get a simpler and smaller image, letting the
main U-Boot image doing the rest (hush shell, further drivers, and so
on). We are now trying to push features that we currently have into SPL.
Well, why cannot we simply run U-Boot if we need a DFU update ? Which
are the real advantages for having DFU in SPL ?

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de