[U-Boot] SPL Dfu update

Michael Trimarchi michael at amarulasolutions.com
Wed Oct 30 15:34:45 CET 2013

Hi

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 3:24 PM, Stefano Babic <sbabic at denx.de> wrote:
> Hi Otavio,
>
> On 30/10/2013 15:19, Otavio Salvador wrote:
>
>>> OMAP4/3 can boot over the otg, so you can send MLO and let it wait for the
>>> second stage boot. We have already SPL USBETH in u-boot but in production
>>> otg flashing can be very useful. Think SPL as a differently configured U-BOOT
>>> doesn't change the problem but yes it's a nice idea.
>>
>> But you'd usually want to have an 'upgrade mode' which allows DFU to
>> run. In this case, this could be done using complete U-Boot instead of
>> SPL, no? In case customer needs a slim version of it, it could be
>> accomplished using a specific config and having:
>>
>> SPL
>> Update mode U-Boot (normal U-Boot with less features)
>> Complete U-Boot (interactive and like)
>>
>> or am I missing something?
>

> Right, I agree completely with you.
>
> That's the reason I do not understand why we have to push DFU into SPL.
> Maybe we both are missing something.

It's simple:

- first stage boot can be sent over the otg
- using dfu to flash the u-boot.img, kernel .. etc

dfu is another way to upload and write second stage or what you want. I don't
see the point to don't have this option. We have merged USBETH spl support
and dfu is more useful.

./usb_load MLO.flash
./dfu-util ... MLO
./dfu-util ... u.boot.img