[U-Boot] SPL Dfu update

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Wed Oct 30 20:36:43 CET 2013

On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 02:52:25PM +0100, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
> Hi Tom
>
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 2:44 PM, Tom Rini <trini at ti.com> wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 02:29:32PM +0100, Michael Trimarchi wrote:
> >> Hi

> >> USB flashing (no serial, no display) only otg
> >
> > OK, but how are we getting SPL loaded?  I know of, today, some solutions
> > using U-Boot + DFU for flashing/restore (and some other non-DFU flashing
> > solutions) that do SPL+regular U-Boot.  I think this highlights, in
> > part, once again that Scott is right and we need to think of SPL as a
> > differently configured U-Boot, because the flip side here is, why should
> > we load even more data before doing the payload when we know we're a
> > single purpose run?
>
> OMAP4/3 can boot over the otg, so you can send MLO and let it wait for the
> second stage boot. We have already SPL USBETH in u-boot but in production
> otg flashing can be very useful. Think SPL as a differently configured U-BOOT
> doesn't change the problem but yes it's a nice idea.

The point I'm trying to make with thinking of SPL as a differently
configured U-Boot is that you're saying, in essance "I want a U-Boot
that can init the hardware, start up DFU and wait".  A general problem
has been pointed out a few times now that when we want to make SPL+foo
we're bringing more and more stuff in and adding more and more
CONFIG_SPL_FOO that matches up with CONFIG_FOO.  What we need to, longer
term, move to is CONFIG_SPL + CONFIG_FOO, roughly, and then one build to
make SPL one build to make U-Boot.  Very roughly at least.

--
Tom