[U-Boot] [RFC][DFU] Unification of dfu_alt_info alt settings description + command execution

Lukasz Majewski l.majewski at samsung.com
Thu Oct 31 18:25:41 CET 2013

Dear All,

As a follow up from u-boot's mini-summit at ELCE 2013, I would like to
once again share the new format of dfu_alt_info env variable (for those
who couldn't attend).

dfu_alt_info_cleanup:

    |---+-------------+-------------+---------+----------------------|
    |   | <dev_name>: | <alt_name>, | <type>  | extra params         |
    |---+-------------+-------------+---------+----------------------|
    | 1 | mmc0:       | rootfs,     | part;   | -                    |
    | 2 | mmc0:       | uImage,     | file,   | part, dir;           |
    | 3 | nand0:      | u-boot.bin, | raw,    | start, size;         |
    | 4 | mmc0:       | u-boot.bin, | raw,    | start_lba, size_lba; |
    | 5 | ram0:       | uImage,     | ram,    | start, size;         |
    | 6 | ubi0:       | kernel0,    | raw;    | -                    |
    |---+-------------+-------------+---------+----------------------|
    | 7 | cmd:        | cmd,        | cmd;    | -                    |

Some useful info:

+ Each <type> is responsible for providing information
  about additional parameters (in conjunction with <dev_name>)

+ Ad 1. Extra parameters are extracted from GPT/MBR/MTD

+ Part can be given as text or number (text -> number conversion will
  be performed anyway)

+ Part: Ext2/4, FAT, UBI?

I'm especially interested in feedback from AM335x owners. I would
like to know how UBI partitions are handled there.

Lukasz Majewski

Samsung R&D Institute Poland (SRPOL) | Linux Platform Group