[U-Boot] U-Boot 2009.11.1 USB Issue and Building U-Boot 2013.07

Chuck Wical chuck.wical at amanomcgann.com
Tue Sep 3 22:53:50 CEST 2013

First I am fairly new to U-Boot but over the last 2 weeks I have been going
through the README files and anything else I can find that would help
resolve the issue I have.  Here is a recap:

Currently the project I am working on was setup with U-Boot 2009-11-01 and
works just fine with one exception.  I was asked to find a solution where
our field support engineers could recover if a firmware update failed
causing our board to no longer boot.  Basically it cycles through RomBOOT
and U-Boot.  As I looked through the environment variables and commands I
came across the USB subsystem and found I could use fatload.  With our
system there are three files I need to load from USB, these are uImage,
etc.jff2 and rootfs.ext2.gz.uboot.

I found if I used tftp these files transferred correctly and the board would
boot with the new files.  I thought the solution was found and I could
simply setup the same files using USB through environment variables.  The
script worked but the problem was when it tried to load rootfs into RAM it
would cause a CPU reset and RomBOOT to start.  At first I thought there was
something wrong with the script so I tried to load the file by typing it the
command but got the same result.

Command:

usb start

fatload usb 0 $(loadaddr) rootfs.ext2.gz.uboot  where loadaddr is the same
address used by tftp.

My first question is, is there a solution for this issue using U-Boot
2009.11.1? This version builds currently within our project.

Second question is I downloaded U-Boot 2013.07 but noticed huge change in
the build process.  I figured out the patches I need along with the AT91
configuration for our board.  We are using the arm926ej6 processor with a
board similar to at91sam9260ek.  When I try to build I get the
hardware.h:49:3 error: #error "Unsupported AT91 processor" message.  When I
look at the header file I see where it fails but I don't understand why
since I do have a matching define.  For some reason hardware.h is not seeing
this define and I am stumped as to why.  So any suggestions on how to solve
or figure this out would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Chuck