[U-Boot] gpmi-nand driver and jffs2 support

Marek Vasut marex at denx.de
Wed Sep 4 16:38:52 CEST 2013

Dear Huang Shijie,

> On Wed, Sep 04, 2013 at 04:00:36PM +0200, Marek Vasut wrote:
> > Dear Huang Shijie,
> > How come hector was then able to write his JFFS2 partition ?
>
> If he uses the gpmi, he should not write the JFFS2, since the gpmi
> does not support the jffs2. He will get the failure in the end.

Hector, can you comment on this?

> > > So the jffs2 support is compatiable all the time.
> >
> > Is the old Freescale 2.6.35 GPMI NAND format compatible with the one
> > after applying this patchset?
>
> Not compatible.
>
> This patch set is still underreview.

So this patch breaks compatiblity with FSL kernel release? This needs fixing,
otherwise it's impossible to do a drop-in replacement for the ancient FSL
kernel.

> > > I think the mount can be succeeded.
> >
> > Ok, does that mean that we need this patchset in U-Boot in order to
> > properly write JFFS2 onto GPMI NAND there? Is that the message you
> > wanted to relay to us?
>
> Besides this patchset, the u-boot needs more patches to sync with the
> kernel mtd code. Such as the full-id features.

Can you elaborate on this more? This is very vague, I would like to know what
exactly is missing.

Best regards,
Marek Vasut