[U-Boot] why not enable ICache in vexpress_aemv8a.h

York Sun yorksun at freescale.com
Tue Apr 1 18:21:03 CEST 2014

On 03/30/2014 11:30 PM, TigerLiu at via-alliance.com wrote:
> Hi, fenghua:
> I found you defined these marcoes in vexpress_aemv8a.h :
> #define CONFIG_SYS_DCACHE_OFF
> #define CONFIG_SYS_ICACHE_OFF
>
> Most ARMv7 platform will enable Icache to make code run faster.
> So, why not turn on Icache on ARMv8 FVP model?
> Is there any side-effects?

I can only guess why David choose to do so. The function model doesn't have
cache implemented. I am in the development of ARMv8 platform on an emulator
which is much closer to a real chip. I have found several cache related issue
with current code. If you want to check, please see
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/bundle/yorksun/armv8_fsl-lsch3/

York