[U-Boot] Booting image from ARM for different architecture

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Wed Apr 2 21:55:35 CEST 2014

HI Michal,

On 31 March 2014 03:45, Michal Simek <monstr at monstr.eu> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I want to check with you if someone tried this scenario.
> Load u-boot on main CPU (for me ARM cortex-a9)
> and boot different cpu(for me Microblaze) with FIT image
> or old u-boot image format.
>
> IRC I have seen any code regarding this but I am not able
> to find it out where. :-(
>
> My current usage is that I do that steps by hand by
> tftp 100000 kernel.bin (microblaze kernel in bin format with rootfs and
> dtb in it)
> mwr 0xXXXXXX 0x1 (turn on microblaze via custom logic which jumps to
> 0x100000)
> tftp 10000000 image.ub (download arm kernel)
> bootm 0x10000000 (boot arm kernel)
>
> I think that will be much better to have
> both kernels in one FIT image and and use two configurations.
> One for microblaze kernel and second for arm kernel
> and boot it with one bootm command.
>
> Simon: Is this configuration even supported by FIT image?

A lot of my clean-up work was to get everything (kernel, ramdisk, fdt) to
use fit_image_load(). So it is pretty easy to write a command which
calls fit_image_load() to load an FPGA image, or something for another CPU.

I would suggest a 'fdt' command (or maybe 'fit'?) to load from a FIT image
- currently this all happens at once in the bootm command but with all that
code untangled it would be pretty easy to do.

Regards,
Simon