[U-Boot] [Question] bardrate both in gd_t and bd_t

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Apr 4 11:22:17 CEST 2014

Dear Masahiro,

In message <20140404114250.5C15.AA925319 at jp.panasonic.com> you wrote:

> > Correct. In some (really old) kernel versions this was the way to pass
> > this information to the kernel, so we neede dit there.
> >
> > > I suspect the reason it is in global_data is that the bd_t  structure
> > > doesn't exist until some time after the console is started up, so it
> > > wouldn't be possible to do serial output otherwise.
> >
> > Also correct.
> >

> Thanks.
> Sadly, it looks like we should keep both of the two.

I'm not so sure.  As mentioned, this was used in really old kernel
versions only.  I remember it for the Power archtecture, where only
the pre-devicetree kernel versions (i. e. 2.4.x) used this.  OK, I
know of a number of projeects which are still using such old kernbel
versions, but these are also using ancient U-Boot versions.

I don't think we have to keep support for ancient kernels in current
U-Boot.  Eventually we may drop it.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
"Why should we subsidize intellectual curiosity?" - Ronald Reagan