[U-Boot] CONFIG_SYS_XIP_BOOT for when it's a choice?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 7 19:05:36 CEST 2014

Dear Tom,

In message <20140305172806.GY16805 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

> I'm looking over some patches for am43xx to enable the case of non-SPL
> XIP booting and this means we start getting code that's shared with
> am335x that looks like:

What exactly do you mean by "non-SPL XIP booting"?  Is this not the
standard boot mode which has actually been the first (and only one)
that U-Boot has ever been designed for, like booting from a ROM (like
parallel NOR flash)?  Because the we do exactly that: we execute the
code as is from the boot device...

> Because we need to do certain init either in SPL or early U-Boot.  While
> I don't see another XIP boot case being added anytime soon, it would be
> nice to instead write:

What you call "XIP boot" is the default for all systems booting from
NOR flash (or other boot ROM) - or am I missing something?

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Voodoo Programming: Things programmers do that  they  know  shouldn't
work  but they try anyway, and which sometimes actually work, such as
recompiling everything.                             - Karl Lehenbauer