[U-Boot] CONFIG_SYS_XIP_BOOT for when it's a choice?

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Apr 7 19:41:39 CEST 2014

Dear Tom,

In message <20140407171943.GG23803 at bill-the-cat> you wrote:

> > What exactly do you mean by "non-SPL XIP booting"?  Is this not the
> > standard boot mode which has actually been the first (and only one)
> > that U-Boot has ever been designed for, like booting from a ROM (like
> > parallel NOR flash)?  Because the we do exactly that: we execute the
> > code as is from the boot device...
>
> Exactly.  But most modern platforms are not XIP booting by default, if
> ever.  When it is, it's a special case and needs the code we usually
> only call in SPL (say memory controller init) linked in.  Today this is
> done with say:
> #if defined(CONFIG_SPL_BUILD) || defined(CONFIG_NOR_BOOT)
> #endif
> on am335x.  Looking at am43xx we have both traditional NOR and QSPI NOR
> as boot options, along with SD/NAND/various-peripheral-boots.

OK.  So if this basically the same what we do when booting XIP from
parallel NOR, then maybe we should rename CONFIG_NOR_BOOT into a more
generic name, like CONFIG_XIP_BOOT ?

I would like to have only one name for one thing...

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Writing a book is like washing an elephant: there's no good place  to
begin  or  end,  and  it's  hard to keep track of what you've already
covered.