[U-Boot] mmc changes in v2014.04-rc3 cause problems when using mmc in SPL

Tom Rini trini at ti.com
Wed Apr 9 01:07:53 CEST 2014

On Wed, Apr 09, 2014 at 12:05:04AM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> Hi,
>
> While merging v2014.04-rc3 into our sunxi u-boot branch, I hit a problem
> where mmc would no longer work in the SPL.
>
> The problem is that the new mmc_create call forces use of HEAP memory,
> while in the SPL there may be no HEAP.
>
> For now I've created a small 2048 bytes HEAP in our SPL, but if possible
> I would like to get rid of the need for a HEAP though, as we only have
> 24K of RAM for our SPL.

24K should still be enough to have a small malloc pool and the rest of
SPL, especially since it sounds like you already didn't have FAT support
in there (which has required malloc for ages and is why Pantelis didn't
spot this as a problem I think).  How close to the limit are we today in
the sunxi platforms?  Thanks!

--
Tom