[U-Boot] [u-boot][coreboot-x86] Incremental Make fails

Masahiro Yamada yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com
Mon Apr 14 04:50:46 CEST 2014

Hi Hua,

On Thu, 10 Apr 2014 16:32:32 +0800
Hua Yanghao <huayanghao at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Masahiro,
>

> > Strange.
> > "make coreboot-x86" is not supported anymore.
> >
> > Now, we must do "make coreboot-x86_config all" instead.
> We are still using U-boot 2014.01, which seems to be the latest stable
> release, isn't it?
>

> >> 3. make # second make fails with message:
> >> make[1]: Entering directory `/home/hua/git/u-boot/arch/x86/lib'
> >> make[1]: *** No rule to make target `.depend', needed by `built-in.o'.  Stop.
> >> make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/hua/git/u-boot/arch/x86/lib'
> >
> > Strange again.
> >
> > ".depend" files are not used any more.
> > (They were used in the old build system prior to Kbuild.)
> Are you sure? I can see the .depend files is created all over the
> places. For both ARM & x86.
> >
> >> Can anyone give some hints in how to solve this issue?
> >
> > Which version are you using?
> >
> U-boot 2014.01
>
> > I guess you are not using the latest version in the git repository.
> >
> > The most recommended solution is to use the latest version.
>
> Indeed the latest version have things fixed. :-) Will switch over.

Fetch the source tree by git clone:

git clone git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git

A big change happened to the U-Boot build system at v2014-rc1,
which is right after v2014.01.

Unlike Linux Kernel, the stable releases are not maintained in U-Boot.
v2014.01 is just a snapshot of the mainline of develepment 3 months ago.

If you want to get a support from the community,
I recommend you to use u-boot/master branch.

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada