[U-Boot] Strange CFI flash problem

Matthias Weißer weisserm at arcor.de
Mon Apr 14 08:09:40 CEST 2014

Hi Wolfgang

Am 11.04.2014 12:43, schrieb Wolfgang Denk:
> Dear Matthias,
>
> In message <5347BBBC.9000806 at arcor.de> you wrote:
>>
>> we are currently trying to get an out-of-tree board based on 2013.01
>> back in sync with current master and observing a strange behavior which
>> we think is located in the CFI flash system. If we load an image via
>> tftp, copy it to flash and then try to run the image via bootm we see an
>> error while decomressing:
>>     Uncompressing Kernel Image ... LZO: uncompress or overwrite error -5
>
> Are you sure your malloc arena is big enough for LZO?  Try if
> increasing it helps...

We increaded it from 4MB to 8MB and the behavior is still the same.

We also observed a different behavior when tftping the image to RAM and
then directly executing it without copying it to flash. It seems that
the flash device (EN29GL256H) is then in some a mode (maybe auto-select)
which prevents it from normal read operations which doesn't allow the
flash driver of the OS come up. We never saw this with our old u-boot.
If there are no ideas left we will have to bisect the problem.

Regards
Matthias