[U-Boot] [RFC/PATCH] sunxi: Populate the default environment for sunxi-based systems

Karsten Merker merker at debian.org
Mon Aug 11 22:13:33 CEST 2014

On Mon, Aug 11, 2014 at 06:22:09PM +0200, Hans de Goede wrote:

> On 08/10/2014 11:00 PM, Karsten Merker wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > in the following email you can find a patch to populate the
> > default environment for sunxi-based systems about which I would
> > apprechiate your opinion.
> >
> > With the current progress in mainlining sunxi platform support,
> > mainline u-boot will probably soon be able to replace
> > u-boot-sunxi (https://github.com/linux-sunxi/u-boot-sunxi) for
> > many use cases.  Currently the default environment in mainline
> > u-boot for sunxi-based systems is rather bare; the only
> > predefined variable is bootm_size (which is required for proper
> > initrd- and dtb-relocation).  U-boot-sunxi predefines a set of
> > environment variables which are commonly used by existing boot
> > scripts and also offers a predefined bootcmd for automatic search
> > and execution of bootscripts.  I think that to facilitate using
> > mainline u-boot as a drop-in replacement for u-boot-sunxi,
> > mainline u-boot should provide similar defaults.

[...]

> Thanks for this patch, but this does the same as a series
> I've already pending, see:
>
> https://github.com/jwrdegoede/u-boot-sunxi/commits/next

Sorry, I had not seen that - in this case please disregard
my patch.

> I've not yet send a pull-request for this because it uses the new
> generic $bootcmd support:
> https://github.com/jwrdegoede/u-boot-sunxi/commit/34e421a155c83c52f6e6edb2594458af27ef7517
>
> This commit has just been merged by Tom Rini, so right now
> these patches are good to go. I'll send a pull-request for them
> soon.
>
> Let me know if somehow these patches won't work for Debian. One of the
> goals of the generic $bootcmd support is that distributions can just
> drop an extlinux.conf in the boot partition, and then u-boot will
> automatically find it and do the right thing.

I have just run a few short tests with them - looks good. Using
the new infrastructure requires adjustments to existing
bootscripts written for u-boot-sunxi due to different variable
names (${devtype} vs. ${device}, ${devnum}:${bootpart} vs.
${partition}), so it is not a real drop-in replacement for
u-boot-sunxi, but if it gets adopted by all platforms, I think
having a common and versatile infrastructure for all of them is
worth breaking compatibility to u-boot-sunxi in this regard.

Regards,
Karsten
--
Gem. Par. 28 Abs. 4 Bundesdatenschutzgesetz widerspreche ich der Nutzung
sowie der Weitergabe meiner personenbezogenen Daten für Zwecke der