[U-Boot] [RFC/PATCH] sunxi: Populate the default environment for sunxi-based systems

Ian Campbell ijc at hellion.org.uk
Mon Aug 18 18:54:47 CEST 2014

On Mon, 2014-08-11 at 22:13 +0200, Karsten Merker wrote:
(sorry for the delay, just getting back from vacation)

(sorry again if this comes through twice, my MUA crashed the first time
I hit send, I don't think the mail made it out though...)

> > I've not yet send a pull-request for this because it uses the new
> > generic $bootcmd support:
> > https://github.com/jwrdegoede/u-boot-sunxi/commit/34e421a155c83c52f6e6edb2594458af27ef7517
> >
> > This commit has just been merged by Tom Rini, so right now
> > these patches are good to go. I'll send a pull-request for them
> > soon.
> >
> > Let me know if somehow these patches won't work for Debian. One of the
> > goals of the generic $bootcmd support is that distributions can just
> > drop an extlinux.conf in the boot partition, and then u-boot will
> > automatically find it and do the right thing.
>
> I have just run a few short tests with them - looks good. Using
> the new infrastructure requires adjustments to existing
> bootscripts written for u-boot-sunxi due to different variable
> names (${devtype} vs. ${device}, ${devnum}:${bootpart} vs.
> ${partition}), so it is not a real drop-in replacement for
> u-boot-sunxi, but if it gets adopted by all platforms, I think
> having a common and versatile infrastructure for all of them is
> worth breaking compatibility to u-boot-sunxi in this regard.

I agree, the consistency is well worth it.

With Debian hat on: we should have a conversation with Vagrant WRT the
planned u-boot version for Jessie. v2014.10 should be available before
the freeze in November so hopefully we can go with that for Jessie, but
if not then perhaps we can backport some minimal set of patches so that
at least the env names match even if we don't manage to get the full
updated default env.

Ian