[U-Boot] Treat warnings different from errors in buildman?

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Sat Aug 23 07:59:02 CEST 2014

Hi Tom,

On 21 August 2014 10:53, Tom Rini <trini at ti.com> wrote:
> Hey,
>
> So as I migrate scripts over to buildman, one issue I have is that
> today warning and errors are treated the same:

Actually buildman can't tell the difference at present. Both errors
and warnings end up in stderr. Buildman assumes that if make returns
an exit code of 0 then there were no errors (since they would have
terminated the build). So we have three categories:

- board with no errors/warnings
- board which builds but has output in stderr, assumed to be warnings
- board with errors, but may also contain warnings

I will take a look at trying to distinguish between warnings and
errors by looking at the stderr output. My philosophy with buildman
has been to go to quite extreme measured to help summarise and
categorise the problems, so I suppose this would be just another step.

> u-boot (master)$ ./tools/buildman/buildman -b master -c 1 -ve -T 1 -j 9 'arc|blackfin|microblaze|m68k|nds32|sparc|x86|aarch64|sandbox|mips' -s
> Summary of 1 commit for 128 boards (1 thread, 9 jobs per thread)
> 01: git-mailrc: add patman and buildman alias
>       mips: +   pb1000 dbau1550_el qemu_mipsel maltael
>      sparc: +   grsim_leon2 gr_cpci_ax2000 gr_ep2s60 grsim gr_xc3s_1500
>        arc: +   tb100 arcangel4-be axs101 arcangel4
>    sandbox: +   sandbox
>
> mips is the mipsel libgcc thing, I need to see if eldk5.5 behaves
> better than 5.2.1 in that regard and passing or setting
> CONFIG_USE_PRIVATE_LIBGCC=yes.  sparc is however all warnings (old gcc
> warning when it should not).
>
> Also, is there any way to note which boards/arches an error comes from?
> +/home/trini/work/u-boot/master/.bm-work/00/disk/part.c: In function
> `get_device':
> +/home/trini/work/u-boot/master/.bm-work/00/disk/part.c:453: warning:
> 'hwpart' might be used uninitialized in this function
>
> Is confusing if you hadn't done a sparc solo build before and seen that.

I'll add an option for that.

Regards,
Simon