[U-Boot] A23 u-boot with SPL / dram init available in my personal git repo

Chen-Yu Tsai wens at csie.org
Tue Dec 9 13:31:09 CET 2014

On Tue, Dec 9, 2014 at 6:25 PM, Hans de Goede <hdegoede at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 09-12-14 11:17, Chen-Yu Tsai wrote:

>>> I've an Ippo q8h v1.2, there are at least 2 differences from the
>>> v5 you've. The dram clk speed and zq value are different, and the wifi
>>> is different. The wifi does not matter for u-boot, but does mean we
>>> need separate dtb files for the 2.
>>>
>>> My u-boot sunxi-wip branch has a defconfig for the v1.2, you should be
>>> able to copy that over to the v5 defconfig, adjust dram clk and zq values
>>> with the ones from the v5 fix, change v1.2 to v5 in the CONFIG_FDTFILE
>>> setting and thats it.
>>>
>>> Let me know if this works, then I'll also include an update for the v5
>>> defconfig to enable the SPL when I send this upstream.
>>

>> Just gave it a spin, and it works. The dram clock and zq can be
>> found in sunxi-boards.
>

> Good, I'll update my patch-set to reflect this.
>
>> Note that the actual settings fetched from
>> stock u-boot has the highest bit of tpr13 set, disabling auto
>> detection AFAICU. As you've not implemented that part, I used
>> auto detection and it seems to work.
>

> It is implemented in the actual dram_init code, but for now I've
> all the dram_paras hardcoded except the clk and the zq value. If
> autodetect works I see no reason to change this, but for future models,
> if necessary the code for dealing with manual config is there, to test
> just put the values directly in the dram_para struct at the top of
> dram_sun8i.c .
>
>> The only problem I have now is it has no connectivity to the
>> outside world lol. I would've liked a v2, with a Realtek USB
>> WiFi chip. What chip does the v1.2 have?
>

> An sdio based chip, the RDA RDA5990P, as mentioned here:
>
> http://linux-sunxi.org/Ippo_q8h#Q8H-V1.2

Not sure this would require a different DT. Probably the GPIOs
are different.

> It does have an empty spot on the pcb for a usb wifi module, I plan to
> hookup a usb connector to that one of these days, and see if I can get
> a USB host working this way.

I should do that too. Nice way to hook up ethernet. Small problem would
be getting 5V from the board for VBUS.

Also I have a schematic file for A23 that someone provided me.
I don't remember who...

It lists:
  - ALDO2 connected to VCC-DLL @ 2.5V
  - ALDO3 to VCC-PLL and AVCC (analog power) @ 3.0V
  - DCDC1 to all the normal stuff @ 3V
  - DCDC2 to VDD-SYS @ 1.1V
  - DCDC3 to VDD-CPU (main cpu) @ 1.1V (1.26V in my fex file)
  - DCDC5 to VCC-DRAM @ 1.1V (1.5V in my fex file)
  - DC5LDO to VDD-CPUS (special cpu)

>>> Good, so I guess this means that DCDC1 should be 3V for your board,
>>> since that is what the factory firmware uses, right ?
>>>
>>> I guess it is time to make DCDC1 voltage configurable.
>>

>> 3V seems to be the lowest tolerable voltage for some bits. Making it
>> 3.3V might be a bit better. But with my light usage, I don't see any
>> stability issues.
>

> Right, I guess 3V is used to safe battery, which makes sense (in tablets /
> phones)
>
> As said I'll make this configurable making 3V the default and set 3V3
> in the defconfig where the original firmware does that.

Thanks!

ChenYu