[U-Boot] Internal Boot mode

Stefano Babic sbabic at denx.de
Tue Feb 4 11:10:04 CET 2014

Hi Jyoti,

On 04/02/2014 10:07, JYOTI DUBEY wrote:
> Can anybody tell what all happens inside an i.mx6 board when we try to boot
> it in internal mode?

You have already got several answers pointing to the provided
documentation. Please read it. The boot process is descripted with
details in Chapter 8 of the i.MX6 User Manual. There is no short way,
you have to read it accurately.

> Is it that in internal mode the board does not look
> into the flash at all to discover the u-boot image and the image must be
> provided only from the serial port?

No, it is not. Internal mode is very similar to eFuse mode with the
exception that in internal mode the setup can be overwritten by GPIO.
Supported boards in U-Boot are booting in internal mode loading the
U-boot image from a storage (SPI, SD, NAND).

> If yes then what steps should be
> followed to perform internal booting? It would be of great help if commands
> for performing internal booting is provided.

Please read the documentation.

Best regards,
Stefano Babic

Phone: +49-8142-66989-53 Fax: +49-8142-66989-80 Email: sbabic at denx.de