[U-Boot] Question about Coding-Style

Hannes Petermaier hannes at petermaier.org
Tue Feb 4 13:50:18 CET 2014

Hello,

I've read on the U-Boot website about coding style. They say 'All
contributions to U-Boot should conform to the Linux kernel coding style'.
Further i've read this link and there are at least 2 things which i have
troubles with.

1)
a tab-ident is 8 spaces (in eclipse for example with the built in K&R has
4 characters). With 8 characters per TAB the problem from point 2 enters
very, very fast.

2)
a line ist limited to 80 characters (maybe thus comes from very old days
where displays couldn't show more than this and scrolling was very
expensive). is this state of the art ?

In fact i've found a lot of files within the u-boot code which do not obey
to this rules.

Now my question is, how strong are this two points ?
checkpatch.pl rails against a patch file with a lot of warnings if there
is a line longer than 80bytes, also it takes TABS as 8 spaces.

whats your opinion about this ?

Last question:
Is this mailing list the right place of discussing such things ?

many thanks and best regards,
Hannes

mfG
Petermaier Hannes