[U-Boot] NAND bad block table

Michal Simek monstr at monstr.eu
Wed Feb 5 15:16:58 CET 2014

On 02/04/2014 09:46 PM, Scott Wood wrote:
> On Tue, 2014-02-04 at 13:43 +0100, Michal Simek wrote:
>> Hi Scott and others,
>>
>> I have a question regarding BBT position and number of blocks allocated
>> for BBT.
>>
>> Did you face the issue with last 4 blocks broken in any NAND flash
>> device since the default option in Linux/u-boot BBM is last 4 blocks?
>>
>> It doesn't mean that if the last 4 blocks are broken than the NAND flash
>> device is broken too.
>> Also I haven't seen any common binding for Linux kernel to change it.
>>
>> Has someone tried to improve this algorithm or process of storing BBT in a better way.
>> For example just look for BBT from the end till any limit?
>
> I don't recall if I've ever tested it personally, but that sort of
> scanning is already there.  Have you seen a problem with it?

We have met with nand device which has broken last 4 blocks and
u-boot and linux just scan last 4 blocks by default.

In connection to Linux. Interesting is that there is no binding
for extending scan blocks and this has to be done through driver
properties.

Thanks,
Michal

--
Michal Simek, Ing. (M.Eng), OpenPGP -> KeyID: FE3D1F91
w: www.monstr.eu p: +42-0-721842854