[U-Boot] T1040 booting from NOR Flash

Franck Jullien franck.jullien at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 11:24:05 CET 2014

> Dear Franck Jullien,
>
> Franck Jullien <franck.jullien <at> gmail.com> writes:
>

>> Hi,
>>
>> I'd like to know if I have understood it correctly.
>>
>> When first time booting from NOR, the RCW and PBI must be written
>> using the JTAG. The last instruction of the PBI must be a jump
>> (0x13_8080) to the user's code (uboot here).
>
> You should not need to bring out the JTAG.
>
> The build process for other FSL boards that require RCW (i.e. P5040) can
> create a single binary that includes RCW, PBI, and u-boot.
>
> BUT the T1040 right now does not have a build target that creates this
> binary! It seems FSL hasn't gotten about to creating it yet (not in mailine,
> not in patchworks, none in the FSL SDK).
>

>> Am I right ?
>>
>> Best regards,
>>
>> Franck.
>>

> All the best,
> Rommel

I did see other platforms generates PBL images with RCW and PBI
built-in. However, this is always with CONFIG_RAMBOOT_PBL set (SPI,
NAND or SD-CARD boot).
This is the memory map described in the t104xrdb/README file:

NOR Flash memory Map
163  Start          End             Definition                       Size
164 0xEFF40000      0xEFFFFFFF      u-boot (current bank)            768KB
177 0xE8000000      0xE801FFFF      RCW (current bank)               128KB

For me, it means the RCW will not be included in the u-boot binary.

Franck.