[U-Boot] uboot/linux version compatibilty

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Wed Feb 19 23:54:28 CET 2014

Dear Kiran,

In message <CACO2QS2zvuqfpZWMe_U2EGFaWwrHuyrURzy-c9fpXtRZ4DLDNw at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> If I am not wrong, the kernel 2.6.18 has included fdt (firmware device
> tree) .
> In that case, can we expect any compatibility issues with U-Boot v1.1.2.
> Please let us know , if there is any backward compatibility is maintained .

Well, running 9 year old code obviously carries a lot of pain,
especially when you try to combine it with less old kernels.
Of course you must not expect any DT support in this old U-Boot.
You may still be able to boot such a kernel (I think there was support
for dumb, non-DT-aware boot loaders - search for "cuImage"; IIRC that
was some kind of wrapper around the kernel which would then also
include the DT blob).

On the other hand, you are just asking for trouble.  When you change
the sstem anyway, then you should change it such that all affected
components fit to each other.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The high cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.