[U-Boot] sandbox question

Abraham Varricatt abraham.varricatt at googlemail.com
Wed Jan 8 04:46:59 CET 2014

Hello Tiger,

On Wed, Jan 8, 2014 at 6:22 AM,  <TigerLiu at viatech.com.cn> wrote:
> Hi, Simon:
>
> Thanks for your reply!
>
>>Well you could, but what benefit would that provide? It would not use
> any code from arch/arm if that is what you are thinking. Sandbox is its
> own >'architecture'?

Your question seems a bit odd to me. My understanding of the sandbox
feature, is to let someone play around with u-boot from an
architecture independent perspective. Theoretically, this means that
you should be able to cross-compile the sandbox application as an ARM
executable and run it anywhere ... like on the Raspberry Pi (ARMv7, I
think). Or you could just compile it and run on a standard x86 system.

Obviously, the binary images produced for both architectures will be
different, but the code should work the same. And naturally, running
the application on an x86 system working at 2Ghz will be different
from running it on an ARM system working at 700Mhz. The whole point of
calling the code "architecture independent" is that it will work
across all systems.

>      So, if sandbox's fs/ext4 drivers' test passed on an x86
> platform,but these architecture related optimizations would cause
>
> some potential bugs on ARM platform.

If you really do find an odd bug where it does not work as expected
(it can happen), then that's an exceptional case which should be
investigated further. I'm not sure if investigating it in sandbox mode
will help.

-Abraham V.