[U-Boot] Problems with latest U-boot on Mini2440

Peter Germer germerp at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 09:08:35 CET 2014

Dear List,

I have been trying to get a working binary of latest U-boot from git
repo (git://git.denx.de/u-boot.git) for my Mini2440 (Samsung S3C2440,
ARM926T) for weeks, without any success.

I tried to use 3 different CodeBench toolchains and DENX ELDK for
armv4t as well, but no joy so far. Compilation finishes successfully,
but the resulting code does not print anything on the serial line.
I have the original Supervivi in the NOR and updating the NAND
bootloader from it in two different ways:

Tried to load the U-boot image to RAM and start it by jumping to the
correct memory address, but I always get the followings on the serial
console:

  argument 0 = 0x00000000
  argument 1 = 0x00000000
  argument 2 = 0x00000000
  argument 3 = 0x00000000
And nothing else.

If I try to download U-boot directly to the NAND and reset the board,
nothing is displayed.

Both method works well with the image provided by the manufacturer's
website, but I need to enable netconsole option on my board, which is
not configured on their binary.

A fork is available which provides the source tree of their version
(at git://repo.or.cz/u-boot-openmoko/mini2440.git), but it is version
1.3.2, and if I enable netconsole, it fails to compile. Without the
netconsole settings this source compiles and runs fine on the board,
which I believe confirms that my toolchain is fine.

I tried to disable optimization of the compiler (-O0) as suggested on
U-boot FAQ, but also did not help with any of the compilers.

Do you have any experience with this board, or can you suggest me how
to locate the issue? Unfortunately I don't have a JTAG debugger, which
might make debugging a bit harder.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Best regards,
Peter