[U-Boot] XHCI Issues

Aaron Williams Aaron.Williams at caviumnetworks.com
Tue Jan 14 05:28:04 CET 2014

On 01/13/2014 06:20 PM, Aaron Williams wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am bringing up XHCI support for our SOC and have run into several
> issues with U-Boot's XHCI code.
>
> 1. I need to use a wrapper I call xhci_readl/xhci_writel since all of
> our I/O is to 64-bit addresses rather than readl/writel which work for
> PCIe. While xhci_readl/xhci_writel is used in most places there are a
> few places this is missing.
>
> 2. A memory address used by a pointer is not a DMA address on MIPS. On
> MIPS a wrapper is needed for all read/write operations to descriptors
> to map the addresses. Generally U-Boot runs in KSEG0 where a pointer
> always has bit 31 set. In our case we run it in virtual memory with
> U-Boot loaded at the top of memory (which might be as high as
> 64GB+256MB).
>
> 3. xhci_alloc_virt_device is missing a conversion from big endian to
> little endian on line 401 of xhci-mem.c.
>
> 4. I keep getting hit with
>
> BUG_ON(GET_COMP_CODE(le32_to_cpu(event->trans_event.transfer_len
>         != COMP_STOP)));
> on line 491 in xhci-ring.c. Commenting this out seems to work fine.
>
> 5. I also hit the BUG_ON on line 722 of xhci-ring.c since on MIPS a
> pointer is not a DMA address and the fact that we use 64-bit addresses
> where pointers are 32-bits.
>
> I ran into similar issues with EHCI where again we have to map
> pointers to physical addresses and use our own wrappers for register
> accesses.
>
> At some point I would love to merge our stuff back into the mainline
> U-Boot but it's going to be a huge job given that we probably have
> almost 250K lines of code involved for our MIPS SOCs.
>
> -Aaron

I have a follow-up:

I am seeing error messages when hub ports are reset.

In the output below I have a USB 3 thumb drive plugged into USB0 and a
USB 2 thumb drive plugged into USB1. Each USB device has "2" ports,
where port 0 is treated as a USB 3 port and port 1 is treated as a USB
1/2 port. I think the "cannot reset port X!?" message is invalid since
otherwise everything appears to be working.

I am also seeing rather slow transfers of around 1.9MiB/sec. Is this
normal for XHCI? This is for both USB 2 and a high-speed USB 3 thumb
drive when loading a 40MiB Linux kernel image.

-Aaron

--
Aaron Williams
Software Engineer