[U-Boot] Compiling fw_printenv tool

Masahiro Yamada yamada.m at jp.panasonic.com
Tue Jan 14 12:47:12 CET 2014

Hello Detlev

> > How do I cross compile it for my embedded system? Do I just set the
> > HOSTCC environment variable in the Makefile?
>
> No changes in any makefiles are needed, just do
>
> make HOSTCC=arm-none-linuex-gnueabi-gcc env

It looks weird to me.

I think HOSTCC should be always "gcc".

In my understanding,  tools/env/fw_printenv is not a host program
but a one for the target embedded Linux.

Is there any reason that we don't fix tools/env/Makefile?

  $(obj)fw_printenv:      $(HOSTSRCS) $(HEADERS)
          $(HOSTCC) $(HOSTCFLAGS_NOPED) $(HOSTLDFLAGS) -o $@ $(HOSTSRCS)
          $(HOSTSTRIP) $@

  $(obj)fw_printenv:      $(HOSTSRCS) $(HEADERS)
          $(CC) $(HOSTCFLAGS_NOPED) $(HOSTLDFLAGS) -o $@ $(HOSTSRCS)
          $(STRIP) $@

Best Regards
Masahiro Yamada