[U-Boot] Uboot_Header_Modification_by_CVS

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Mon Jan 20 10:57:56 CET 2014

Dear Arun,

In message <82CF479D9040C547849E3005E77F780024B75A at SVFRWEXCH1.ikanos.com> you wrote:

> 1) Downloaded u-boot-2010.09 source code. (u-boot-2010.09.tar.bz2<http://ftp.denx.de/pub/u-boot/u-boot-2010.09.tar.bz2>)
> 2) Some files, have version & header information along with the source code.
> 3) When I do a check in for these files, using CVS, these header information is changed.
> CVS is  automatically modifying these headers.

May I ask why you are using CVS?  CVS is hopelessly obsolete and has
been replaced by much more powerfull tools many, many years ago.

I'm asking this especially because your question indicates that you
are not exactly an experienced CVS user, so it makes not much of a
difference whether you familiarize yourself with CVS or with aanother
tool like git.

Do yourself (and us) a favour and use git instead like everybody else.

> 1. Why only few files have these kind of header information in Uboot repository ?

Because these files have been imported from another project where they
used such ID strings.

> 2. If I do a check in via CVS, the headers will be modified,
>    So will it be a violation to GPL ?
>
> 3.  If it is a Violation , please help me with a solution .

Th ebest you can to is to get rid of CVS and use git instead.  You can
then simply clone the mainline git repository.

If you really, really insist on using CVS, then you will have to go
through the process of familiarizing yourself with this tool.  Please
read the manual, and eventually some of the tutorials.  Please pay
special attention to the "-k" flag which controls keyword substitution
in CVS.  For working with U-Boot code, you want to switch off keyword
substitution.

Um... and please do not expect further help on CVS on this mailing
list.  We left it behind a decade ago, and never ever missed it since.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
Everyone, in some small sacred sanctuary of the self, is nuts.
                                                         - Leo Rosten