[U-Boot] Fat write problem

Ruud Commandeur RCommandeur at clb.nl
Tue Jan 21 09:49:07 CET 2014

Hi Detlev (and others),

Just to be absolutely sure, I did a new attempt.

Created 32 MB FAT16 (type 06) partition with fdisk on
my SD-Card (1st parttion).
Formatted as FAT16, 4 sectors per cluster:

"sudo mkfs.vfat -v -n IPCAN -F 16 -s 4 /dev/sdf1"

Created 30 files on this mounted partition:

"for i in {1..30}; do touch /media/IPCAN/test-$i; done"

Plugged the SD-card into my EVK running u-boot and
started fatwrite testing:

fatwrite mmc 0:1 42000000 test-31
writing test-31
0 bytes written
CLB IP-CAN U-Boot > fatwrite mmc 0:1 42000000 test-32
writing test-32
MMC: block number 0x1002006 exceeds max(0x746000)
error: overflow occurs
error: overflow occurs

And the error is there and will remain there for any further attempts.
So it doesn't matter how and where the files were created, and what
size the files are, adding files >= 32 jut fails for FAT16.

Note that also "test-16" is missing when doing a "fatls mmc 0:1". The
file can be read though when doing a fatload for this file. This is
probably some other problem, but could be related.

For now, I will continue using FAT32. If any problems would arise there
I will post them.

Regards,

Ruud