[U-Boot] how to get u-boot code with arm64: core support

drambo drambo at broadcom.com
Wed Jan 22 20:02:23 CET 2014

Hi Bhupesh,

> U-boot doesn't have ARM trusted firmware support as of now. U-boot for
> ARMv8 starts in EL3, whereas UEFI starts in EL2 as trusted firmware itself
> is working in EL3.

Since the ATF software doesn't really care whether it is loading uefi or
u-boot
and since it wants to load non-secure images as EL2 or EL1
(https://github.com/ARM-software/arm-trusted-firmware/blob/master/docs/user-guide.md
See section "Normal World Software Execution"), why would we want to assume
u-boot starts in EL3 mode by default?

If we want to support EL3 execution for convenience to those that don't have
ATF setup, that might make sense, but then shouldn't initial EL3 execution
and
subsequent switching levels be debug CONFIG options? Thanks.

Regards,
Darwin Rambo