[U-Boot] U-boot porting experiment -- which board or CPU will be good for doing it first time

Detlev Zundel dzu at denx.de
Thu Jan 23 17:04:33 CET 2014

Hi Allan,

> I have been reading u-boot documentation for last few weeks.

I hope it was fun :)

> I am looking forward to configure & write my own u-boot for some board
> or CPU .  I will be doing it first time.
>
> Please suggest some existing board for which we have opensource U-boot
> software available, which are good for someone to start ?

This is a very broad question and without giving us more context like
price range, expected features, CPU architecture, etc. it is very hard
to answer.

An "objective" start however would be to look into boards.cfg in
mainline to see what boards we support.  If you have narrowed down your
choice a little bit, I'm optimistic that people will then be glad to
help find a local optimum amongst them.

> I can study that & apply same concept to other Processors or boards. I
> will like to be an expert in u-boot porting.

> TI sitara controllers or RPi(I have an Rpi) or some thing else ?

I am no expert on either one, but the Rpi is not an easy beast to tame.
If you want to learn, I'd suggest looking for less complicated
architectures that have been supported already for a while.

Best wishes
  Detlev

--
Our choice isn't between a digital world where the NSA can eavesdrop and one
where the NSA is prevented from eavesdropping; it's between a digital world